How To Spot a Potentially Unsafe Casino
There are literally thousands of online casinos in operation today and while the majority are trustworthy there are those that are not. To find out whether a casino you are considering playing at falls into the good or bad category only take a few minutes of your time to do a little research. If you can't be bothered then stick to the recommended casinos featured on our site but if you have the time you can visit our Casino Cautions list to get an idea of those with issues that you should consider before playing.
You can also keep these 4 valuable little pointers in mind when browsing the net for places to play so that you can spot a rogue casino straight away:
- Google the name of the casino you are considering playing at and if you see the words "blacklisted" or "Rogue" come up then move on.
- Examine the Casino Website ‐
- Does the design look cheap and nasty? If it does it is generally an indication that something is wrong.
- Look for the Ecogra seal of approval (Ecogra is a regulatory body for online casinos and only approved casinos bear this seal, unless of course it is fake ‐ cross check the casino name on the Ecogra site).
- Look for information on where the casino is licensed ‐ Kahnawake, Gibraltar, the UK etc all impose regulations on casinos. Costa Rica doesn't.
- Who is the software provider? In general Microgaming, Playtech and the bigger software providers in this league monitor the casinos that run their software. Stay away from unknown names or casinos that don't list their provider.
- Are customer support details available? If so, test their customer support...phone them and make sure a real person picks up and answers any and every question you have professionally and legitimately.
- Read the General terms and conditions...are they easy to understand? They should be! Follow all links to ensure that no information on terms and conditions is being hidden from you that could be used against you. This is a favourite of dodgy casinos.
- Beware of bonuses and promotional offerings that seem to good to be true, they generally are and rogue casinos often make use of these to lure players in. In our experience the honest casinos don't generally offer huge bonuses.
- Join a reputable player forum and search for any issues concerning the casino you are considering, some good casinos do have small issues and you'll be able to pick up whether these are resolved quickly or whether there could be something more sinister under the surface.